overcast
Tu 22.10.
11/13°
cloudy
We 23.10.
12/16°
almost clear
Th 24.10.
10/18°

Písek - Sightseeing

A stroll through the city

Palacký Gardens

Písek - One of Písek's many playgrounds. The wooden whale sculpture is located in Palacký Gardens, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.Passing through one of the passageways in the houses lining Heydukova Street, we go to Palacký Gardens. Here we find ourselves in the place where there used to be a defensive moat and mounds along the municipal fortifications. After their dissolution and the moat was filled in, a town park was established in the 1930's and 40's to the credit of Josef Schrenk, who was the Regional Governor in Písek from 1840 to 1850. A number of trees and bushes were planted, and a water fountain was installed in the centre. The year 1886 saw the installation of a monument to the historian František Palacký and an monument to an Austrian footsoldier of the 11th infantry regiment in 1916. Two more monuments were erected in 1935: one was dedicated to the poet Heyduk, the second to the heroes of the First World War. All monuments, however, have had a turbulent fate: Palacký had to disappear during the German occupation but came back in 1945, just like the monument to Adolf Heyduk. The monument to the war heroes didn't survive the occupation, unfortunately, and the Austrian soldier was removed for good in 1918 because the statue's base bore the initials of Emperor Franz Josef I.

There are two more interesting buildings in Palacký Gardens, however. The music pavilion was installed in 1923. The shape of the pavilion's roof, which covered the stage sometime later gave the pavilion the nickname "the shell". It was newly reconstructed in 2006 and is a popular place for all sorts of cultural events in the summer.

The biggest attraction to Palacký Gardens, though, is doubtlessly the renowned pub "U Reinerů". It was founded in 1844 and was originally named U Jasana. The house actually has its own "literary" history, since the poet Adolf Heyduk (see personages) lived here for twenty years. He finally married the restaurant owner's daughter, Emilie Reiner, who was 25 years younger than the poet.

The north side of the gardens is bordered by Tylova Street. Behind it, roughly across from the U Reinerů pub, is the Fráňa Šrámek Theatre. Just about at the level of the Schrenk Pavilion is the beginning of Tyršova Street. If our stroll takes us this far, we'll see the Sokolovna building from 1896 as well as a Neo-renaissance building from 1900 at the end of the street. This building was designed and built by the architect Jan Koula on the order of the popular Adolf Heyduk. Today, the building serves as his memorial and is open to the public, featuring the poet's study, dining room, and social parlour. All rooms still contain the original furnishings.

Písek - Monument to Czechoslovak pilots fighting in England on Fügnerovo Square, photo by: Archiv Vydavatelství MCU s.r.o.Let's return to the park and turn right until we come to Fügnerovo Square. The main feature of this square is the Monument to Czechoslovak RAF Pilots. The monument is devoted to Czech heroes of WWII and has kept its original appearance as a broken propeller blade.